dark chocolate braided brioche
Intricate, braided, twisted and complicated looking, the braided brioche is a vision of buttery perfection to be placed on a table, mesmerizing everyone who lays eyes on it. Yes, its shape is impressive. But just wait! Then there’s the texture that seduces anyone who goes for it, separating it with their fingers. And to completely finish off an unsuspecting victim, there’s the chocolate. But finally … what do you want from me in exchange for the secret behind this addictive breakfast delicacy?
Preparation : 15 minutes
Baking : 30 minutes
1. In a measuring cup, mix the milk and sugar.
2. In a large bowl with your hands or in a stand mixer fitted with a dough hook, mix the flour and yeast. Incorporate the milk, eggs, then butter. Knead for around 5 minutes.
3. Place the dough in a lightly oiled bowl and cover with plastic wrap. Allow the dough to rise for around 1.5 hours in a warm and humid place.
4. On a floured work surface, roll out the dough into a rectangle approximately 18 X 14 in. (46 X 36 cm) in size.
1. In a small saucepan, melt the butter with the sugars on medium-low heat. Remove from the heat and add the chocolate. Mix until the chocolate is melted. Set aside in a bowl.
2. Spread the filling over the entire surface of the dough. Roll up to create a sausage 18 in. (46 cm) long.
3. Cut the sausage in half along the entire length, keeping one end uncut.
4. Braid the dough and create a crown, overlapping the two ends.
5. Place on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper and cover with a large bowl. Allow to rise for 1 hour.
6. Preheat the oven to 350°F (180°C). Cook the brioche in the middle of the oven for around 30 minutes. Enjoy the warm brioche that day.