My mother’s apple pie is the best. I believe it. And you know what? You feel the same way about your mother’s apple pie. And justifiably so. In all cases, it’s not just apples and sugar that go into the recipe. Key ingredients are love, joy and time.
Preparation : 30 minutes
Baking : 55 minutes
1. Preheat the oven to 375°F (190°C).
2. In a bowl, mix the apples with the sugar, cinnamon and tapioca. Set aside.
3. On a floured work surface, press out half of the dough and transfer into a deep 9-in. (23 cm) pie plate. Set aside.
4. Press out the remaining dough. Using a ruler, cut the dough into 8 strips, 1 1/4 in. (3 cm) wide.
5. Arrange the apples on the bottom of the pie. Brush the edge of the dough with water. Place the strips over the apples by criss-crossing them and pressing them along the edge of the pie.
6. Using a knife, cut off the excess dough around the plate. Brush the pie crust with the egg and sprinkle with the sugar, to taste.
7. Cook on the lower rack of the oven for around 55 minutes, or until the strips are golden brown.